Service History of U.S.S. PGM-3

The USS PGM-3 was commissioned as USS SC-1035 on 17 May 1943. In December of the same year it was converted to a Patrol Gunboat (PGM). The service history of the ship provided below is summarized from the ship's official log and the Reports of Changes.

Jeffrey La Favre, son of Howard Floyd La Favre, member of the crew of PGM-3

September 25, 2011

Service Prior to Conversion to PGM

28 MAY 43 sailing from U.S. Naval Station, New Orleans, Louisiana to Submarine Chaser Training Center, Miami, Florida

29 JUN 43 sailing from S.C.T.C., Miami, Florida to Nassau, British West Indies

5 JUL 43 sailing from S.C.T.C., Miami, Florida to Key West, Florida

9 JUL 43 sailing from NOB, Key West, Florida to Guantanamo Bay, Cuba

28 JUL 43 sailing from Balboa, Canal Zone to Corinto, Nicaragua

31 JUL 43 sailing from Corinto, Nicaragua to Manzanillo, Mexico

5 AUG 43 sailing from Manzanillo, Mexico to San Diego, California

14 AUG 43 sailing from San Diego, California to San Francisco, California

7 SEP 43 sailing from San Francisco, California to Seattle, Washington

13 OCT 43 sailing from Pier #41, Seattle, Washington to U.S.N. Section Base, Neah Bay, Washington

19 NOV 43 sailing from Seattle, Washington to San Pedro, California

Location Map Link Location Map Link
New Orleans 29.989 N -90.071E Miami 25.794 N -80.225 E
Nassau 25.064 N -77.346 E Key West 24.558 N -81.782 E
Guantanamo Bay 20.005 N -75.130 E Balboa 8.949 N -79.566 E
Corinto 12.498 N -87.175 E Manzanillo 19.056 N -104.286 E
San Diego 32.705 N -117.204 E San Francisco 37.810 N -122.388 E
Seattle 47.607 N -122.365 E Neah Bay 48.371 N -124.618 E
San Pedro 33.728 N -118.263 E    


En Route to the Treasury Islands in the South Pacific


January 23, 1944, USS PGM-3 departed San Pedro, California, headed for Pearl Harbor, Territory of Hawaii, in company of PGM's 1, 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 and 8 and U.S.S. Armadillo (IX-111). The Armadillo provided fuel and water for the PGM's in transit to Hawaii. The Log Book of USS PGM-3 contains the following entry for January 25, 1045 hours: "U.S.S. PGM-2 reported bad leak and was ordered by Senior Officer Present Afloat to return to port accompanied by U.S.S. PGM-4 as escort." PGM-3 and the remaining ships continued their journey, arriving at Pearl Harbor on February 1. On February 12 the PGM-3 left Pearl Harbor en route to Palmyra Atoll in company of PGM's 1, 5, 7 and 8 and arrived there February 15. The next day the five PGM's continued their journey en route to Pago Pago, Tutuila Island, American Samoa, arriving there on February 20.

The five PGM's left Pago Pago on February 24, headed toward Suva, Viti Levu, Fiji, arriving there on February 27 after adjusting the ships' clocks forward one day. PGM's 8, 5, 3 and 7 departed Suva on February 28 en route to Noum�a, New Caledonia, arriving there March 2. The same four PGM's departed Noum�a 10 days later en route for Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides, arriving there March 14.

On March 13 the port engine of PGM-3 started smoking and was immediately shut down. Upon arrival at Espiritu Santo, the engine was hoisted aboard the repair ship USS Mindanao (ARG-3) and was installed back in the PGM-3 on April 4. PGM's 5, 7 and 8 departed Espiritu Santo on March 15, leaving PGM-3 behind and waiting for the other delayed PGM's of Division One. The overhauled port engine failed again on April 6 during speed trials. By May 1, the port engine was in working order again and on May 6 the PGM-3 departed Espiritu Santo en route to Guadalcanal, sailing as part of Task Unit 35.1.8 under the unit command of Commander Wait on board the troopship Mormachawk. Arriving at Lunga Point, Guadalcanal, on May 9, the PGM-3 continued on to Purvis Bay, Florida Islands (known today as Nggela Islands). PGM-3 was stationed at various locations in the Florida Islands until May 23. The ship's log indicates that PGM's 2, 4 and 6 were moored alongside at various times during this period.

On May 23, PGM-3 departed Tulagi, Florida Islands, en route to Rendova Island, New Georgia Islands, arriving there the next day, and anchoring at the Motor Torpedo Boat Base 11(PT Boat Base 11). During its stay at Rendova, the ship's log indicates that it was moored at times next to PGM's 2, 4 and 6. Then on June 7, the PGM-3 departed for the Treasury Islands, arriving there the same day. Motor Torpedo Boat Base 9 at the Treasury Islands served as the home base for PGM-3 for the period June 7, 1944 to February 24, 1945.


Service at Motor Torpedo Base 9, Treasury Islands

During the month of June, PGM-3 completed four 2-day patrols of the southeast coast of Bougainville Island and Bougainville Strait, working variously with PGM's 1, 5, 6, 8, USS LCI 61, and a PBY seaplane. These were anti-barge patrols at night and mine patrols during the day. The ship fired upon many coastal locations and destroyed two drifting mines by gunfire. On June 27 PGM-3 departed MTB Base 9 in the company of PGM-1, en route to Carter City, Florida Island. After arrival the ship was moored next to PGM-2. The ship underwent repairs and alterations at Carter City, including the installation of sound gear and a 3-inch/50 gun. July 26, PGM-3 was moored next to PGM-6. PGM-3 returned to MTB Base 9 at the Treasury Islands on July 27.

PGM-3 participated in three extended anti-barge patrols along the western coast of New Ireland in August and September. August 1 at 0550 hours, the ship departed MTB Base 9 in company of PGM's 1 and 2, and arrived at the patrol location at 0115 hours the next day, where the PGMs worked with a PBY seaplane. August 4, the ships arrived at MTB Base 16, Homestead Lagoon, Emirau Island and took on water and fuel the next day at Hamburg Bay. PGM's 3 and 2 departed Emirau Island on August 8 en route to MTB Base 9, Treasury Islands. August 27, PGM-3 departed MTB Base 9 in company with PGM's 5 and 8 to patrol area "uncle" on the southwest coast of New Ireland. The PGMs arrived at MTB Base 7, Barahun Island, Green Islands on August 30 for a layover, departing on patrol again on September 2. On this patrol the ships worked with four F4U aircraft and PT boats from the Green Islands and then departed the patrol on the morning of September 5 en route to MTB Base 9. PGM's 3, 5 and 6 departed MBT Base 9 at 0259 hours on September 19 for another anti-barge patrol along the coast of New Ireland, arriving on station at 2353 hours the same day. During the afternoon of September 21, the ships were patrolling in an area 30 miles northwest of Duke of York Islands and in the evening were patrolling along the west coast of New Ireland again, working with the PBY seaplane, call sign "Charcoal." Charcoal dropped several incendiary bombs in the area of a barge canal at Matakan Plantation, starting several fires that lasted about 10 minutes. At 0047 hours PGM-3 fired a burst of .50 caliber tracers into Matakan Plantation to point out a target to the PBY. Charcoal dropped flares to illuminate targets and the PGMs strafed Matakan Plantation for two miles along the coast. The ships departed the patrol area early in the morning of September 22 and headed for MTB Base 7, Green Islands.

While at the Green Islands, the PGMs received emergency orders to intercept the hospital ship USS Samaritan (AH-10), which had been damaged by a mine. The hospital ship was acting as formation guide for a convoy that included the following ships: USS Osmus (DE-701), OTC; USS Whitehurst (DE-634); USS Algorma (AT-34); SS Poleau Laut. PGMs 3, 5 and 6 departed the Green Islands at 1437 hours on September 24, setting a course of 258 degrees true at 1450 hours and then 109 degrees true at 1516 hours, following the latter course until reaching the hospital ship at 1122 hours the next day. The hospital ship was proceeding on a course of 127 degrees true at the time. The PGMs served on scouting lines for the convoy until 1700 hours on September 26, when they were detached from the mission. The PGMs then proceeded to Tulagi, Florida Islands, reaching their destination the next day. PGM-3 departed Govanna Inlet, Florida Island on September 29 in company of PGM's 5 and 6 and arrived at MTB Base 9, Treasury Islands the next day.

The day following its arrival back at base, PGM-3 headed out again for another patrol of area "uncle" on southwest coast of New Ireland in the company of PGM's 6 and 8. The PGMs arrived on station off Huru Point at 1930 hours on October 2. A PBY was dropping flares along the coast to illuminate possible targets. In the area of Matakan Plantation, the PBY dropped a bomb close to a hut on the beach and PGM-3 shelled the vicinity of the hut with their 60-mm mortar. At 0106 hours, a PBY illuminated a loaded barge 1500 yards off Huru Point. The PGMs and PT boats arrived on scene 30 minutes later and made runs against the barge. The PTs scored several hits and in the following runs, the PGMs scored hits with their 3-inch/50 and 40-mm guns. The barge was destroyed during the 20-minute attack. After completing their patrol the following night, the PMGs set out on the morning of October 5 for MTB Base 7, Green Islands. After a layover, the PGMs returned to patrol on October 9. Near the end of the day on October 11, the PGMs were working with the PBY seaplane, call sign "Tarbaby." At 0500 hours on October 12, the PGMs finished their patrol off Tambaker Point, arriving back at MTB Base 9 the following day at 0652 hours.

During the latter two weeks of October, PGM-3 was assigned escort duty, making two round trips to Finschhafen, New Guinea, returning alone each time to MTB Base 9. The first round trip spanned the dates October 14 to 19, escorting the merchant ship SS Marmacsea. SS Wilfred Grenfell was escorted on the second round trip, October 24 to 29.

In November and December PGM-3 conducted four patrols of the southwest and southeast coasts of Bougainville Island, Bougainville Strait and the northwest coast of Choiseul Island. One trip was in the company of 2 PT boats (call signs "Gum King" and "Gum 131"), one apparently alone, one in company with PGM-8 and one in company with PGM-2. In addition, the ship made two quick round trips to Cape Torokina, escorting USS General W. F. Hase (AP-146) to the cape on the second trip on December 10.

PGM-3 departed the base at Treasury Islands for its last patrol along the west coast of New Ireland at 2159 hours on December 25 in the company of PGM-2. The ships arrived at their patrol station the next day at 1932 hours, 2 miles off Huru Point. The PGMs were still patrolling in the second hour of December 29, working with the Black PBY Catalina, call sign "Charcoal." Charcoal was strafing the beach of the Chinese Plantation and illuminating the area for the PGMs. PGM-3 fired upon the beach with gun number 6 (40 mm). Not long thereafter, the PGMs were abeam of Ulpatur Plantation where Charcoal dropped a flare and four bombs. Early in the morning, the PGMs departed their patrol and set a course to the naval base on Green Island, arriving there at 1520 hours. A layover there ended January 1, 1945, when the ships returned to the patrol area, arriving 5 miles off Huru Point at 2145 hours. At 0615 hours on January 4, the PGMs departed their patrol at Huru Point, making their way back to base at the Treasury Islands. Near midnight, PGM's 3 and 2 passed PGM's 1 and 5, who were headed in the opposite direction, making their way from base to the same patrol area.

PGM-3's last patrol in the Solomon Islands commenced January 16 and ended the next day. The anti-barge patrol was conducted in area "Queen" along the west coast of Choiseul Island. For this last patrol PGM-3 was once again in the company of PGM-2. Shortly before arriving on station, the PGM-3 sank a drifting mine with gunfire. The next morning at 0625 hours, four F4U Corsairs arrived overhead to participate in bombardment activities at Kuku Point, followed by gunfire into the same area by the PGMs. Continuing on patrol, the PGM-3 shelled a reported enemy concentration in a cave. At 0946 hours the ships arrived at Sangigai, anchored off shore, and commenced unloading supplies for "Australians." The PGMs were underway to their home base at 1204 hours, reaching their destination at 1815 hours.

In February the PGM ships of Division One were wrapping up operations in the Solomon Islands and preparing for advancement to the Philippines. On February 2 the main engines of PGM-3 were hoisted out of the ship for replacement.

Service in the Philippine Islands

The ships of PGM Division One, PGM's 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8, departed the Treasury Islands on February 24, en route to Hollandia (Jayapura), New Guinea. USS PGM-7, the remaining ship of Division One, was severely damaged in a collision in July of the previous year and never returned to active service. The ships arrived at Hollandia on February 28 and anchored in Challenger Bay. On March 3 the ships departed the harbor and joined a convoy headed for the island of Leyte in the Philippines. PGM-3 took its position astern of USS Anthedon (AS-24). The PGMs served as radar and sound screens, rear guard, and rescue ships for the convoy. The convoy arrived at Leyte on March 10 and the PGMs anchored in San Pedro Harbor. On March 13 the log of PGM-3 indicates that at 1833 hours, the ship was moored next to PGM-4 at Motor Torpedo Boat Base 5 in the San Juanico Strait, Leyte. PGM-3 remained at MTB Base 5 until April 7.

At 1625 hours on April 7, PGM-3 was underway from MTB Base 5, following in the wake of PGM-1 through the San Juanico Strait en route to Ormoc Bay, Leyte, and moored at the Ormoc wharf at 0700 hours the next morning. The PGMs departed the following day at 0645 hours en route to Camiguin Island. The ships tied up at the dock at Mambajao, Camiguin at 1430 hours and were underway again at 1745 hours, headed to their patrol area in Macajalar Bay, Mindanao. The PGMs commenced patrol of the area 1 mile off Salay at 1930 hours, and continued to blockade the Mindanao coast at Macajalar Bay into the morning hours, using radar to search for enemy traffic. At 0645 hours the PGM-3 commenced firing its 3-inch/50 and 40-mm guns at the mouth of Cagayan River. The ships departed the patrol at 0803 hours to return to Camiguin. After an hour-stay at Camiguin, the ships continued on to Iligan, Mindanao. The PGMs were underway from the wharf at Iligan at 1910 hours to return to their patrol area. At 0243 hours, one mile off Tagaloan River, the wake of a putative torpedo was observed to pass just ahead of PGM-3. Another wake passed under PGM-1. On April 12 at 0520 hours, the PGMs departed the patrol area, en route to Balingasag Bay. Guerilla Banca came alongside at 0704 hours to transfer four Japanese prisoners and captured enemy equipment. Afterward, the PGM-3 proceeded en route to Cebu City. At 1813 hours the four Japanese prisoners were transferred to the army stockade at Cebu City for the night. A half hour later the area came under enemy attack with shells exploding close to the PGM-3. All ships in the vicinity proceeded to get underway to avoid the shelling. Shells exploding in vicinity of the dock caused numerous personnel casualties. The PGM-3 sought safety by proceeding to the outer harbor at Cebu where it anchored for the night. On the morning of April 13, the Japanese prisoners were brought aboard by military police and the ship departed for Ormoc. The ship moored in Ormoc Bay shortly before noon the same day and military police escorted the prisoners ashore. The PGMs departed Ormoc Bay the next day, April 14, and arrived back at base at 1313 hours.

PGM-3 departed MTB Base 5 for its second patrol in the Philippines on April 18 in company with PGM-1. This patrol was similar to the first, with stops at Ormoc and Mambajao followed by patrols in the area of Macajalar Bay. After the last patrol the ships returned to base via Ormoc, arriving at MTB Base 5 on April 25.

PGM-3 departed MTB Base 5 on May 6, proceeding independently to Polillo Island, arriving there at 0812 hours on May 8. The next day two officers and eleven men of the Philippine Army reported aboard and the ship departed at 0807 hours for patrol off the east coast of Luzon in company with PC-1123. In the hour before noon, PGM-3 fired upon the beach at Binangonan Point. At 1350 hours PGM-3 was closing towards the beach at Infanta to pick up civilian evacuees. PGM-3 and PC 1123 then returned to Polillo Harbor where, presumably, the civilians were set ashore. On the morning of May 10, the two ships departed Polillo for another patrol of the east coast of Luzon. At 1010 hours the ships commenced a northward sweep at Gabriel Point, firing at an enemy encampment in the vicinity of Iloilo River at 1135 hours. PGM-3 moored alongside PC-1123 in Dingalan Bay at 1410 hours for the purpose of taking on ammunition and the ships then departed for Casiguran Sound. In the early morning hours of May 11 the ships put a guerilla landing party ashore 3 miles south of Calabgan. The ships then departed, arriving back at Polillo Harbor at 1540 hours, and moored to the pier at Polillo City. The two ships departed for another patrol the next morning, arriving back at Binangonan Point at 0725 hours for a northerly sweep of the coast. At 0945 hours PGM-3 commenced firing in the Port Real area and received return machine gun and small arms fire. Two Japanese Q Boats were believed to be destroyed. The patrol was terminated at 1903 hours and the ships returned to Polillo. The next morning the PGM-3 departed Polillo in company with PC-1123, PC-476 and PGM-5. The ships arrived at Mauban Harbor at 0805 hours and remained anchored there for about two hours. The ships then departed the harbor for a patrol of the coast which lasted the remainder of the day. PGM-3 then proceeded back to base in company of PC-1123.

On May 20 at 1733 hours, PGM-3 departed MTB Base 5 in company with PGM-6, en route to Polillo Island. The ships arrived there on May 22 and moored to the wharf at 0730 hours. That night the ships departed for patrol, en route to Casiguaran Sound. At 2135 hours the ships were in the vicinity of Marcelino Point, with PGM-6 putting a landing party ashore. The patrol continued and the ships arrived at Casiguran Sound at 0622 hours the next morning. Three hours later the ships were underway to pick up a scouting party in the vicinity of Colobgan. With the scouting party aboard PGM-3, the ships departed en route to a reported enemy encampment south of Dilalongan. After shelling the beach the ships continued to patrol along the coast and entered Dingalen Bay at 1550 hours. The PGMs then returned to Polillo, mooring at the wharf at 1936 hours, May 23. PGM's 3 and 6 departed Polillo at 1108 hours the next day for another patrol of the Luzon coast, returning at 2140 hours. The two ships conducted their last patrol on May 26 and departed from Polillo on May 27 en route to MTB Base 5.

During the month of June, PGM-3 was idle at MTB Base 5. The ship's log entry for June 25 documents the presence of all PGMs of Division One at the base (PGMs 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 8). PGM-3 left MTB Base 5 on July 6 en route to MTB Base 17 on the south end of Samar Island and returned on July 8. The ship made another trip to MTB Base 17 on July 11 and remained there until July 26. Then PGM-3 returned to MTB Base 5, arriving there on July 27, where it remained until August 4.

August 4 at 1151 hours, PGM-3 was en route to rendezvous with PGM's 1, 2, 4, and 6, for a mission to Morotai Island. After rendezvous, the PGMs departed at 1317 hours with PGM-4 serving at OTC. The PGMs arrived at Morotai on August 6 and anchored in the harbor at the southern tip of the island. Four days later the PGMs departed Morotai, proceeding to MTB Base 17 on Samar Island, arriving there on August 12. The following day PGM-3 returned to MTB Base 5 where it remained until September 5.


September 5 at 0740 hours, the ships of PGM Division One departed their base in the Philippine Islands en route to Buckner Bay (Nakagusuku Bay), Okinawa. At 1415 hours on September 9, PGM-3 passed through the anti-torpedo nets at Buckner Bay and at 1507 hours anchored in berth 150. Over the next week the ship shifted between many moorings in the bay and on September 16 at 1240 hours was moored starboard side to SC-760 at the Minesweep Dock, Section Base, Katchin Hanto, Buckner Bay. In the next entry of the ship's log for the day, under the heading 1600 to 2000 hours, it is noted that the barometer was falling rapidly and a typhoon was approaching. Then under the heading 2000 to 2400 hours: "barometer falling rapidly, typhoon mounting with violence." The next day the ship remained moored next to SC-760 and nothing more about the typhoon is mentioned in the log.

Service in Shanghai

PGM-3 remained at Buckner Bay until September 25, when it departed for Hagushi, Okinawa, arriving there the same day. The following day PGM-3 took on fuel and water in preparation for a trip to Shanghai, China. On September 28 at 1256 hours the PGM-3 departed Hagushi in company of LCI Group 65 bound for Shanghai, China, in accordance with orders from Commander LCI Flotilla Fifteen. Two days later PGM-3 anchored in 22 fathoms of water at the entrance to the Yangtze River. An hour and a half later the ship proceeded to a quarantine anchorage in the river. The next day the ship moved to an anchorage midstream on the Yangtze off Blockhouse Island and was also moored at times to SS Claus Spreckles and USS Robinson (DD-562). On October 3, PGM-3 made its way to Nippon Yusen Kaisha, Pootung Wharf, Huangpu River, Shanghai, where it moored port side to PGM-5. The PGM-3 remained in Shanghai until November 5, moving between various moorings, going into dry dock on October 25, and leaving dry dock on November 2. During this period the ship's log documents the presence in Shanghai of PGM's 2, 4, 5 and 6. On November 5 the PGM-3 departed the Nippon Yusen Kaisha wharf at Shanghai and made its way to the Yangtze River, where it moored to USS Robinson briefly, then proceeded to an anchorage 3 miles west of Chung Poasha. At this location the ship observed Japanese mine sweeping operations and returned at the end of the day to moor overnight at the USS Robinson. PGM-3 was stationed on the Yangtze River the next day, two miles west of Middle Island, where it continued to monitor Japanese mine sweeping operations, returning at the end of the day to moor at the USS Robinson off Blockhouse Island. On November 7, PGM-3 was underway at 0630 hours following minesweepers on various courses, stationed 1000 yards astern, returning to USS Robinson at the end of the day. The ship was engaged in the same activity the next day and was relieved at 0815 hours on November 9. PGM-3 returned to Shanghai on November 10 and returned to mine sweep operations on the Yangtze the following day, serving duty as safety ship, and moored overnight at USS Robinson. On November 12 the ship concluded its duties as safety vessel and arrived back at Shanghai at 1642 hours, mooring next to PGM-1 at the Old NingPo wharf. PGM-3 remained at Shanghai until November 27, when it departed to return to the Philippines.

Return to the Philippines

On November 27 at 0642 hours, PGM-3 departed Shanghai in company with PGM's 1, 4, 5, and 6, en route to Subic Bay, Philippine Islands. At 1418 hours the PGMs were anchored off the Yangtze entrance buoy, awaiting the arrival of USS Kenneth M. Willett (DE-354). The next day the PGMs departed in company of USS Willett, bound for Subic Bay. At 1250 hours on November 29, the PGM-3, in accordance with AlPac 297, dropped all exposed ammunition in 1,466 fathoms of water. The convoy entered Subic Bay at 1440 hours on December 2. The next day PGM-3 anchored at the Alva Docks, Naval Base, Olongapo, Subic Bay, Luzon, Philippine Islands. PGM-3 remained at this location until it was decommissioned on January 12, 1946. All but 5 crew members of PGM-3 were billeted ashore at the Repair Base, Navy 3002, on December 19. On January 11 at 1030 hours Captain Alston Ramsey, USN, came aboard with an inspecting party for pre-decommissioning inspection. On January 12, 1946, USS PGM-3 was decommissioned at 1400 hours. The ship's log on this date was signed by A. C. Cordes, Ens., USNR.

Officers of USS SC-1035 and PGM-3

Gazaway Lamar Crittenden, Lieut. (jg), D-V(G), USNR, reported aboard 17 MAY 43 as Commanding Officer, and was detached 30 OCT 44, as Lieut., Commanding Officer, relieved by Joseph O. Edwards, and ordered to duty at Nav. Tra. Cen. Miami, Florida, USA

Robert W. Goggin, Ensign, reported aboard 17 MAY 43 as Executive Officer, detachment date not determined

Kenneth L. Sturges, Ensign, reported aboard 17 MAY 43 as Third Officer, detachment date not determined

Albert H. T. Banzhaf, Ensign, D-V(G), USNR, reported aboard 5 JUN 43 as Third Officer, and was detached 30 OCT 44 , as Lieut. (jg), Third Officer (Gunnery Officer), relieved by Paul K. Hawkins, and ordered to duty at Nav. Tra. Cen. Miami, Florida, USA

Joseph Orr Edwards, reported aboard 21 SEP 43, on the January 1944 Officers-Next-of-Kin in the ship's log he was listed as Lieut. (jg), D-V(S), USNR, and on 30 OCT 44, when a Lieut., became Commanding Officer, and was detached 17 APR 45, as Lieut., Commanding Officer, relieved by Walter G. Simon

Paul Kenneth Hawkins, Ensign, (D), USNR, reported aboard 13 OCT 44 as Third Officer, and was detached 20 JUN 45, as Ensign, Third Officer, relieved by Paul C. Gregg

Ralph E. Gintz, Lieut. (jg), reported aboard for temporary duty 30 OCT 44 as Executive Officer, relieving J. O. Edwards, his detachment date not determined

William Fergus Feely, Ensign, (D), USNR, reported aboard 10 NOV 44 as Executive Officer, he replaced Ralph E. Gintz, and on 26 DEC 45, as Lieut. (jg), became Commanding Officer, relieving Walter Simon, Feely's detachment date not determined but he signed the ship's log the day before it was decommissioned

Walter G. Simon, Lieut. (jg), (D), USNR, reported aboard 17 APR 45 as Commanding Officer, and was detached 26 DEC 45, as Lieut., relieved by William Feely

Charles E. Thorney Jr., (DE), USNR, reported aboard for temporary duty on 5 APR 45 and was detached on 25 APR 45

Paul C. Gregg, Ensign, (DL), USNR, reported aboard 18 JUN 45 as Third Officer (gunnery officer and supply officer), and was detached 28 DEC 45, as Ensign, no officer relieved him

Alexander C. Cordes', Ensign, USNR, reported aboard 17 NOV 45, duties not listed, and on the December 1945 list of officers in the deck log is listed as Executive Officer, he signed the last page of the ship's log, January 12, 1946, A. C. Cordes, Ens., USNR

Crew of PGM-3

The name of the crew member is followed by the date he reported aboard, the date he was detached, and his rate at detachment. The last entry for the ship's muster rolls is dated January 1, 1946. The detachment dates for a few of the crew after January 1 are listed in the ship's log and are provided below. However, there are some men on the muster for January 1, 1946, that are not listed with a detachment date in the ship's log. These men are listed below with a detachment date "after 1 JAN 46." The crew list below does not include men who were detached prior to January 23, 1944, the day when the PGM-3 departed California en route to the South Pacific. For Navy ratings see: US Navy Interviewer's Classification Guide

Dale Clifford Axtell, 6 SEP 43 to 13 OCT 45, BM1c;

David Ray Bates, 12 DEC 45 to after 1 JAN 46, S1c(SM);

Reynold Edgar Beltz, 14 SEP 45 to 5 DEC 45, MoMM2c;

LeRoy Bradley, 9 FEB 44 to 18 MAY 44, StM1c;

Carl Anderson Bunner, 31 DEC 43 to 19 JUL 45, QM2c;

William Sederous Butler Jr., 4 SEP 43 to 25 DEC 45, MoMM1c;

William Earl Demaree, 17 SEP 44 to 16 JAN 45, MoMM3c;

George Joseph Dowd, 26 MAY 43 to 24 AUG 44, RM1c;

Domer M. Fisher, 25 AUG 44 to 10 JUL 45, GM3c;

Frank Adolph Frandeen, 6 JAN 45 to 5 OCT 45, MoMM1c;

Richard Emmitt Gage, 21 OCT 45 to after 1 JAN 46, S1c;

Cornelius Earl Greenlaw Jr., 25 APR 44 to 2 NOV 45, SM3c;

Homer Reynolds Harding, 22 FEB 45 to 5 OCT 45, Cox;

Frederick Benjamin Hartsfield, 31 DEC 43 to 10 NOV 44, GM3c;

Donald LeRoy Johnson, 17 MAY 43 to 21 OCT 44, BM1c;

Robert Warren Joy, 3 JAN 44 to 12 FEB 44, F1c;

Earl Joseph Keller, 30 OCT 44 to 16 AUG 45, SC3c;

Berlon Wise Kemp, 21 OCT 45 to after 1 JAN 46, SC3c;

Columbus Carson Kennedy Jr., 19 JAN 45 to 27 JUN 45, F1c;

William Bryan Kilpatrick, 5 JUN 43 to 21 OCT 44, QM2c;

George Edward Kious, 17 MAY 43 to 24 AUG 44, MoMM1c;

William A. Knight, 26 AUG 44 to 12 JAN 46, Cox;

Robert Raymond Kowalczyk, 6 JAN 45 to 15 DEC 45, EM3c;

Jerome Frederick Kraut, 12 DEC 45 to after 1 JAN 46, MoMM3c;

George Walter Lacy, 17 MAY 43 to 21 OCT 44, Y1c;

Howard Floyd La Favre, 23 OCT 44 to 12 JAN 46, S1c(QM);

Dondald Oliver La Plant, 10 NOV 43 to 13 OCT 45, SC1c;

Olaf Harold Lindstrom Jr., 17 MAY 43 to 25 AUG 44, EM1c;

Don J. Lowe, 9 NOV 44 to 27 JUN 45, S1c;

Roy McGahan Jr., 17 SEP 45 to after 1 JAN 46, BM1c(T);

Mike Nick Milkosky, 17 MAY 43 to 6 JAN 45, MoMM1c;

Arthur Albert Mitchell, 7 SEP 43 to 26 DEC 45, RM1c;

Emmett Abraham Moore Jr., 4 SEP 43 to 10 JAN 46, MoMM2c;

William Oliver Norton, 9 FEB 44 to 12 FEB 44, S1c;

Kenneth Omer Peak Jr., 9 FEB 44 to 12 JAN 46, MoMM3c;

Thomas Eugene Pike, 31 DEC 43 to 20 DEC 45, PhM1c;

Henry Joseph Rasmussen, 17 MAY 43 to 15 SEP 44, MoMM1c;

John Everett Reuter, 2 NOV 45 to 15 NOV 45, CBM;

Russell Charles Richard, 12 DEC 45 to after 1 JAN 46, StM2c;

William Warren Robinson, 17 SEP 44 to 12 JAN 46, GM3c;

Francis Lionel Russell, 3 JAN 44 to 15 NOV 45,MoMM2c;

Wilbur Franklin Sink, 17 MAY 43 to 25 DEC 45, EM2c;

Metro Skiratko Jr., 17 MAY 43 to 25 DEC 45, GM1c;

Robert Francis Sullivan, 17 MAY 43 to 25 DEC 45, GM2c;

J. L. Tarrant, 17 MAY 43 to 7 FEB 44 and 12 SEP 44 to 16 AUG 45, St3c;

James Robert Taylor, 21 OCT 45 to 17 DEC 45, SM3c;

Donald Joseph Thomas, 5 JUN 43 to 29 OCT 45, Cox;

Robert Joseph Trauscht, 15 NOV 45 to after 1 JAN 46, GM3c;

Elbert Derrell Tucker, 10 JUL 45 to after 1 JAN 46, GM3c;

Albert H. Virostko, 25 APR 45 to after 1 JAN 46, Y2c;

Robert Allen Waugaman Jr., 17 MAY 43 to 17 DEC 45, RdM2c;

Richard James Wisswell, 5 JUN 43 to 23 JAN 45, GM3c;

Ruben Zavala, 14 SEP 45 to 13 OCT 45, Cox;

Adolph J. Zlabis, 17 MAY 43 to 27 APR 44, SM2c;


* Log Book of USS PGM-3, January 1944 to January 1946

* Log Book of USS PGM-7, January to August 1944

* Reports of Changes of USS PGM-3, January 1944 to January 1946

* Reports of Changes of USS SC-1035, 1943